Visitor reviews for Alto Campoo Ski Resort
April 11, 2018
Malachai from United Kingdom
Very good resort overall. Great for adventurous skiers or riders at a more advanced level when the top lifts are open with great access to the slack country/off-piste sections. But also very family friendly with a good selection of mellow and easy runs and variety of lifts at bottom. The main problem I see with this resort is it lacks a gondola which I think would dramatically improve the speed of the uplift from the base. The bottom chairs cater to beginners for the blue slopes so this means lifts can feel quite slow, especially the one nearest the cafe on the right side. I have read some reviews and feel the complainants are being unfair. I would understand if this was a big world renown international resort lacking important features but as a local hill I think it offers more than enough terrain, facilities and options for the price. Alto Campoo is very reasonably priced for a ski resort. Accommodation options nearby are good value; the hotel for 42 Euros per night includes ski pass and dinner. I think it would be hard to find this value for a hotel near a slope anywhere in the world. Also, a bus goes from hotel to ski resort for free. There is also a youth hostel directly opposite which is very cheap: around 8 Euros a night including breakfasts and dinner and offers the basics but again a great option on a budget and the hotel facilities and cafe are still open to the public. The cafe restaurants are not inflated like many ski resorts. I would expect to pay 4 or 5 times the price for food and drink in places like the Alps. This, I feel, makes it a great option for families wishing to stay a few days and experience the snow. The other downside is the resort can be difficult to reach without a car. I think the resort is missing an important thing here for tourists. If the nearby town Reinosa or Santander had a transfer bus I think it would dramatically increase the number of people who visit the area. Many people travel without cars to ski resorts as transfers are a hassle-free option. A taxi from Reinosa will cost 30 Euros one way so this is probably about normal price for a transfer to a ski resort anyway but still it takes a bit more effort than a transfer direct. The coach from Santander to Reinosa takes around 1hr 30 mins, taxi 20 minutes from Reinosa which can be ordered from the bus station. Overall, definitely recommend. Snow conditions are great, resort is fairly quiet midweek so no lines and plenty of fresh tracks. People will always complain and compare to other places but if you can just accept the differences and enjoy the day out it’s a really nice little resort for a visit.
Alto Campoo Ratings
Overall: 3.2. Based on 98 votes and 74 reviews. Vote
(1) At least one overnight stop, (2) requires a whole day, (3) requires more than half a day – you may have time for a few turns (4) arrive by lunchtime and ski all afternoon, (5) there is a main airport within an hour of Alto Campoo.
Public Transport: 3.1
(1) There are no buses or taxis to Alto Campoo, (3) there are slow or infrequent buses / trains available, (5) getting to the resort is easy with frequent bus / train connections.
(1) An ugly resort in a bland setting, (3) average mountain views and resort, (5) a spectacular setting and a beautiful / historic resort town.
(1) No places to stay in/near Alto Campoo, (3) a few places to stay in the resort, (5) a wide variety of accommodation suitable to suit all budgets.
Cheap Rooms: 3.8
(1) No budget accommodation available, (3) just one or two hostels so book ahead, (5) several cheap hostels and pensions available.
Luxury Hotels: 2.6
(1) No luxury accommodation available, (3) just one or two luxury hotels so book ahead, (5) several up-market hotels in Alto Campoo.
Ski in/Ski out: 3.6
(1) The ski area is located far from any accommodation, (3) a free ski bus takes you to the ski area in a short trip, (5) Ski-in ski-out accommodation is available.
(1) There are no child care facilities at Alto Campoo, (5) the resort has excellent child-care facilities including at least one reasonably priced creche.
(1) Occasionally gets enough snow for skiing, (2) is often closed due to a lack of snow, (3) occasionally suffers from a lack of snow, (4) rarely suffers from a lack of snow, (5) Alto Campoo is snowsure even in the poorest seasons.
(1) Alto Campoo relies entirely on natural snow, (3) there are just a few snow cannons, (5) there are snowmaking facilities on all pistes.
Snow Grooming: 3.8
(1) There are no snow groomers at Alto Campoo, (3) occasionally some pistes are left ungroomed and in a poor state, (5) all the runs at Alto Campoo are groomed daily.
(1) there is nowhere to ski when it is windy or visibility is bad and lifts often shut, (3) there are some trees for poor visibility but main lifts sometimes close, (5) Alto Campoo is mostly in forest where you can ski in flat-light and windy days, lifts rarely close.
Nearby options: 2.5
(1) If snow conditions are poor at Alto Campoo, it will be poor everywhere nearby, (3) there are good alternatives within an hours drive, (5) other locations on the same lift pass provide a rich variety of snowsure ski conditions.
Regional rating: 3.6
(1) Alto Campoo usually has poor snow conditions compared to other resorts in region, (3) has average conditions for the region, (5) usually has the best snow conditions in the region.
Lift Staff: 3.4
(1) The staff at Alto Campoo are rude or unhelpful, (5) lift staff at Alto Campoo are pleasant, cheerful and eager to help.
(1) the resort is always busy and there are usually long lift queues, (3) it is quiet apart from occasional weekends and school holidays, (5) it is uncrowded and lift queues are very rare.
Ski Schools: 3.8
(1) No ski schools available, (2) one or two ski schools but local language only, (3) a few ski schools but book early for multi-lingual instructors, (4) plenty of ski schools and multi-lingual instructors available, (5) excellent ski schools with friendly multi-lingual ski instructors.
Hire and Repairs: 3.8
(1) Nothing can be sourced, not even ski-wax or ptex. (3) there are some ski shops but rentals need to be booked in advance, (5) good quality ski equipment can be purchased or hired and overnight repairs are possible.
Variety of pistes: 3.2
(1) The ski runs are featureless and unvaried, (3) the ski runs are varied but not extensive enough for a week, (5) Alto Campoo has diverse and interesting pistes including forests and high alpine terrain.
(1) Beginners can only watch others ski and snowboard, (3) a few gentle slopes but beginners will get bored in less than a week, (3) Vast areas of gentle terrain.
(1) No intermediate terrain at Alto Campoo, (3) intermediate skiers will get bored after a few days, (5) vast areas of cruising runs.
(1) Nothing for advanced skiers and snowboarders, (3) enough steep terrain for a few days with some good offpiste, (5) Enough steep terrain and offpiste areas to entertain advanced skiers for at least a week.
Snow Park: 2.8
(1) Not even a kicker at Alto Campoo, (3) average sized park quite well looked after, (5) huge park area and expertly crafted pipes, jumps and boardercross trails.
(1) No off-piste worth mentioning, (2) off piste is out-of-bounds, (3) some varied offpiste that stays fresh for one or two days, (5) a vast array of off-piste routes that can stay untracked for several days.
(1) There is nowhere to go for cross-country skiing around Alto Campoo, (3) there are some cross country trails available, (5) the area features many spectacular and well maintained cross-country trails.
(1) No designated luge or toboggan runs, (3) there are toboggan runs that open quite often, (5) Alto Campoo has long and well maintained luge / toboggan facilities suitable for all ages.
Mountain Dining: 3.3
(1) Nowhere to buy food by the pistes, (3) some places to eat up on the mountain but they are often busy and expensive, (5) there is a variety of excellent mountain eateries right next to the slopes to suit all budgets.
(1) Bring your own food, there isn't even a shop. (5) A wide variety of places to eat and drink in the resort, from fast food to fancy restaurants.
(1) Nothing to do, not even a bar, (3) there are a few bars in the resort but nothing special, (5) clubs and bars stay open until very late and have a friendly atmosphere.
Other Sports: 2.4
(1) No sports facilities at all apart from ski lifts, (3) resort has just a small public swimming pool, (5) resort has all kinds of sports facilities, including a full-size swimming pool.
(1) Besides the snow and walking there is nothing to do here, (3) the non-skier will find things to do for few days but may become bored after a week, (5) the resort area is a fascinating place to visit, regardless of winter sports.
Winter Walks: 3.2
(1) Very limited walking and no snowshoe trails, (3) a couple of designated scenic walking/snowshoe trails, (5) extensive and diverse winter walking trails for all abilities.
Ski Pass Value: 2.7
(1) A 1 week ski pass is overpriced compared to the number of lifts available, (3) the ski pass is averagely priced and covers a reasonable number of lifts, (5) ski passes are excellent value for money and cover a lot of lifts spanning a big area.
Value (National): 3.0
(1) Overall, Alto Campoo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the country and not worth the money, (3) overall represents average value for money, (5) overall offers the best value resort in the country.
Value (Global): 3.0
(1) Overall, Alto Campoo is one of the most expensive ski resorts in the world, (3) overall it offers pretty average value for money compared to resorts from other countries, (5) internationally the resort offers excellent value for money.
January 20, 2017
Gracio from Spain
Aquí comentan todos los listos del planeta... Menudas sandeces que hay que leer por aquí...
por favor os lo pido, al que no le guste alto campoo, que no suba!! mejor estaremos los que si queremos esta estación.
[note from the editor: post will remain in place for a short time.]
February 03, 2013
Mac from Spain
The worst ski resort ever!
Always closed, expensive, lazy staff, very, very dangerous roads to access.
Wrapping up, I wiil never come back to this horrible resort.